Your Gulf Shores beach vacation traditions in past years may have normally included a fair amount of eating at restaurants, shopping and enjoying local attractions that may be outside your comfort zone in 2020. So maybe this is a year to include some alternatives that we'll call "social distance friendly" vacation plans.
First, pick a Private Beach House--this is inherent social distancing as you are just staying with your group. Current beach regulations do not limit the size of your family, group, or household, but do require that you maintain at least 6' of distance from other groups. That is not difficult when you are staying at beach house. Explore all our Beach Homes here.
Private Pool and/or Pier--this instantly expands the things to do right outside your door. Swim or relax in the refreshing water of your own pool (many are heated in Fall, Winter and Spring). Find Homes with Pools. You can also surf fish (far away from swimmers, please) or fish from the pier at one of our lagoon-front homes. See Homes with Piers.
Now that you've picked your place to stay, here is a list of things to make your 2020 beach vacation easy and fun, while limiting your contact with others.
- Grocery shopping and load-in--let The Beach Moms handle it. Special occasion during your stay? They can arrange for that birthday cake & balloons to be all set up and waiting for you as well, plus a wide range of the other things to make your stay easy and delightful.
- Rent a boat, just for your family, at Hudson Marina. They are also doing dolphin cruises and other activities at lower capacities so you may be able to make it a private adventure.
- Sand Castle University will come with all the gear to do a sand castle activity on your beach.
- Mad Dog Fishing will bring fishing gear to you and even teach you how to surf fish. Please book 2 weeks in advance.
- Gulf Shores Seafood will cook up a seafood boil (shrimp, potatoes, corn and don't forget the conecuh sausage--you decide how spicy you want it) for you to have at the beach house instead of going out for seafood.
- Orange Beach Concierge can do a private chef dinner, or one of their absolutely delicious heat and serve dinners (Mexican, Italian, and others), or some of their gourmet to-go items (amazing chicken salad and pimento cheese to name a couple).
- Have oysters shucked for you, right at the house. Those are sourced from the same local company that provides Acme Oyster Co with their fresh oysters. Call us and we'll connect you with a shucker.
- Get kayaks or paddle boards brought to the house. Ibeachservice also does daily set up and take down of canopies if you wish. Our clean beach ordinance requires everything come off the beach each night. They are the only beach service company that offers this service.
We specialize in private homes, in a wonderful destination for a drive-to vacation. We are taking extra precautions before you arrive to disinfect high touch areas inside and outside our beach homes, and to minimize contact unless you need us. All of our homes have keypad or lockbox entry so you do not have to stop at an office, but you can call us any time. All have well-stocked kitchens to make eating in a pleasure.
This year has made us cherish, more than ever, the time we spend with those we love and the memories we make when we are together. It may look a little different, but hopefully our social distance friendly vacation suggestions will give you some easy and fun ways to make your 2020 Gulf Shores Beach Vacation a good one.